The wooden Nansen sled is of traditional design and well proven during decades of polar travel. It is an outstanding, cost-effective load transporter for towing behind vehicles in both Antarctica and the high Arctic. The design payload for the longest, 4 m, (13 ft) size is around 1100 lbs (500 Kgs).
These sleds are made to order and lead times depend on the number ordered.
- Strong ash and beech wood construction.
- Components are lashed together, allowing real flexibility.
- Runner soles are 6 mm ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.
- All wood parts are liberally treated with linseed oil.
- Component replacement is simple, low cost and field maintainable.
- The strong, flexible, lashed wood construction produces a sled which cushions the shocks and flows smoothly over uneven surfaces.
- Keel plates, lashline (to retain load) and a short towing loop are all supplied as standard.
Extras and spares
- Foot brake
- A-frame for towing (when rope is not being used)
- Tow rope (to customer requirements)
Please phone/e-mail to enquire about prices/lead times
|Number of bridges||NT3||NT4||NT5|
|Overall length||9 ft 5 ins (2.86 m)||11 ft 2 ins (3.41 m)||13 ft (3.96 m)|
|Overall width||all 2 ft (60 cms)|
|Maximum height||all 1 ft 2 ins. (35 cms)|
|Average unladen weight||70 lbs (32 Kgs)||84 lbs (38 Kgs)||100 lbs (45 Kgs)|
|Max. design loading||880 lbs (400 Kgs)||990 lbs (450 Kgs)||1100 lbs (500 Kgs)|
|Construction||Ash with beech laminated bridges, and polyester cord and hide lashings|